Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Essay 2: Rough Draft 2

Being from Maryland, some may say that my decision to become a patriot in these last few years was made for me. That my being from a predominantly patriotic state my surroundings have influenced my abilities to make an informed decision on my own. (Alden Allan 283-292) However that is my case this is far from true. I am a strong believer that when something is broke, you fix it. I believe that the current government is broken. I am a patriot because I want to see that system fixed. I am a patriot because I am not going to sit back and be manipulated any longer. I refuse to keep on being a subordinate to an evil master, who only has their best interest in mind instead of mine.

In my point of view, there is no turning back anymore. Thomas Paine said it best when he said, “A new method of thinking hath arisen” (Paine 28). Too much has been done to the colonies, for us to go back to serving such an evil master. We have been oppressed and exploited for far too long. All of our attempts at peace were ignored. Now it is time for action. Our power against them that has certainly been demonstrated in the last few years. Not to mention that we have proved that we can not only govern ourselves in times of great stress, but we also have shown that we can govern successfully.

We are now to the point that reconciliation is near impossible. When our choices are, fight for the very slim chance that we can go back to being ruled by a corrupt government, or take up arms and fight for our rights and get to not only govern ourselves, but be able to keep a close eye on that government so that nothing like this ever happens again, the choice seems obvious to me. However nothing we do will work unless we come together to make the decision that will best benefit us all.

The New York Committee of Fifty-One hit it right on the head when they expressed that the situation we are currently in, involves not only just the patriots, or a few select colonies, but a whole continent. (New York Committee of Fifty-One). We have to come together and organize if we want to have any hope of successfully facing the problems in front of us. England is exploiting our every weakness, and being unorganized is one of the biggest weaknesses we can have. In my home state we realized this, and now we have our own form of organized government. The Committee of 51 was probably right when they said that “"No remedy can be of avail unless it proceeds from the joint acts and approbation of all."” but if we cannot convince the rest of the colonies of this, at least we will be prepared. No one should have to live in a government without rights.

Rights are exceedingly important to everyone in the new world. Our ancestors first came here because it represented a new beginning and new chances for them. What should have been great new opportunities turned into horrible subjugation for all involved. For these reasons, in Maryland’s constitution has a very clear and open declaration of rights. The most important of which, in my opinion is “That freedom of speech and debate, or proceedings in the Legislature, ought not to be impeached in any Court of Judicature.” (Declaration of Rights Article 10). No more wrongful persecution of those who deserve no such punishment. This constitution represents everything we have fought for, everything we have won the right to have as Americans.

In my opinion, there are no legitimate reasons to stay loyal to the crown. You may say that my statehood has something to do with that. You may say that everyone and all the situations within Maryland has caused me to sway in one direction. But the way I see it, its only common sense. I don’t hate Britain, but I surely hate being oppressed by them. When I have the power to help create my own form of government that can be much more closely monitored, I see no reason not to take part.

Bibliography:
Paine, Thomas. Common Sense. 1776
New York Committee of Fifty-One, Letter from the New York Committee of Fifty-One to the Boston Committee of Correspondence. 1774.
Alden Allan, Anne. "Patriots and Loyalists: The Choice of Political Allegiances by the Members of Maryland's Proprietary Elite." The Journal of Southern History May 1972: 283-292.
Ninth Provincial Convention. Constitution of Maryland. Maryland State Archives

No comments: