Thursday, December 11, 2008

Portfolio: Entrance Essay

The PSEC motto is the basis of which society should be built. Especially in this day and age, when so many are in need and so many others have the means to help. When there are so many ways to get involved and support today, to possibly change someone’s life, it’s a shame that so many of us choose not to. That is why in this last year I have chosen to be active.

In years past, I have wasted summer after summer sitting in front of the television. To combat the urge to waste away my hours, I taught myself how to knit and crochet. After the first few weeks however I began to realize I had no use for most of the things I was making. Instead of stopping and giving in to the television once again, I decided to find out a way that I could put my new skills to good use. Through this I found out about Project Linus.


Project Linus is a charity for children who have prolonged stays in hospitals. They provide them with hand made quilts to help make there stays at least a little more bearable. Over the past ten years they have collected over 20,000 blankets for kids ranging from infants to teenagers. Though I am still working on my first Project Linus blanket, I have caught the charitable bug and I have started to look for other organizations such as the FPRR (Friends of Pine Ridge Reservation) which I have just found recently.


I believe that everyone who has the chance to make a difference in the world should strive too. Without people willing to make a change, we would all be stuck in the same place. I found something I could do well, and found a way that I could use it to help others. We all have that power, it just takes the initiative.

No comments: